In addition to small (like trail cleaning) and large (like club executive positions) volunteer jobs at the local club level, we are always looking for volunteers to help us out in the following Association positions. If you can help at either level, please email us.
Current Council Members:
Past President: Susan Graham
Treasurer/Kees van Frankenhuyzen
General Secretary: Tricia Kelly
Membership Secretary: Chris Kuntz firstname.lastname@example.org
Publicity Director and Social Media Coordinator:Vacant
Director-at-Large 1: Dawn Elmore
Director-at-Large 2: Jillian Marquis
Hike Ontario Rep: Carole Blaquiere
Guidebook Committee Chair: Steve Dominy
Trail Data Manager: Vacant
Newsletter Editor: Fiona Ortiz
Newsletter Layout: Vacant
Insurance Coordinator: Larry Gringorten
Webmaster: Sandra Turgeon
Current Council Members:
Develops in conjunction with the Recording Secretary, the agenda for Council meetings and the Annual General Meeting, and chairs such meetings. – Coordinates Association- wide activities in conjunction with the three Vice-Presidents. – Prepares a report to members three times a year for publication in the Voyageur Trail News. – Serves as spokesperson for the Association-at-large. – Monitors, and coordinates where appropriate, activities of executive and committee members.
East is designated from Manitoulin Island to Melwel Lodge Road; Central is designated from Melwel Lodge Road west to and including Montreal River; West is from just west of Montreal River to Thunder Bay. – Monitors, and coordinates where appropriate, activities of clubs within their region. – Coordinates region-wide activities in conjunction with club presidents. – Assists the President as requested to carry out Association-wide activities. – Assists the Publicity Director in publicizing the VTA within their region.
Records, prepares and distributes the minutes of all meetings within 30 days of their occurrence. – Assists the President in preparing the agenda for meetings, and distributes the same at least one week before the meeting. – Prepares general correspondence as requested by any member of the Council.
Receives, records and deposits all VTA monies. – Prepares and distributes cheques for regular VTA expenditures. – Issues receipts for tax-deductible donations. – Maintains accurate financial records and reports on financial matters at meetings. – Audits monthly bank statements for accuracy and works with appointed auditors to double-check the financial records. – Prepares the annual tax return and handles all other government correspondence related to finances. – Keeps a written record of and coordinates the bulk purchases of tools for the Clubs in the Association.
– Maintains accurate records of members. – Receives and replies to all membership correspondence. – Receives all general inquiries and replies to same.
– Maintains current mailing addresses for members, landowners and other receiving the Voyageur Trail News, and provides mailing labels to the Newsletter Editor at appropriate times. – Delivers regular status reports on membership levels at meetings.
– Provides member information to committees on request. – Maintains a landowner database of all landowners along the route of the Voyageur Trail from information supplied by the local Clubs (each Club is responsible for determining the routing of new or re-routed trail in its geographical area, securing permission from landowners for the trail to cross their lands and forwarding this information to the Membership Secretary for inclusion in the Landowner database).
– Prepares and distributes brochures and other printed publicity materials for the Association. – Prepares and distributes press releases for major events. – Maintains the VTA display and arranges to set it up at significant venues. – Speaks to media requests about the Association and its Clubs – Maintains (if capable) the VTA web site, or arranges for someone to do this and coordinates the information presented there.
– Maintains the ArcInfo shape files of the trail and the associated background information for the trail maps. – Updates, as required, the ArcInfo files as trail changes are made. – Produces new maps when needed. – Provides data to local Clubs as requested, i.e. GPS tracks and waypoints. – Works with local Clubs to provide custom maps, information on landowners, etc. – Works with external agencies to maintain and expand the database, i.e. MNR MoHP, etc.
– Represents and cast votes on issues for the Voyageur Trail Association at Hike Ontario meetings. – Reports back to the Coordinating Council on the activities of Hike Ontario.
– Maintains up-to-date descriptions and maps of the Voyageur Trail Guidebook as submitted by members. – Prepares and submits reports of trail changes for the Newsletter. – Oversees the preparation of the Guidebook for printing and maintains the supply of Guidebooks for sale. – Contacts businesses to sell the Guidebook to the general public and keeps them stocked for the purpose. – Sells topographic maps.
– Compiles, prepares, prints and distributes the Voyageur Trail News at least three times a year (deadlines: April 1st, August 1st & December 1st) to members in good standing, landowners and complementary addressees. – Determines the size and content of the newsletter using the following guidelines: all paid advertisements in the newsletter should be related to the Voyageur Trail Association’s objectives and goals; members and landowners in good standing shall be allowed free advertising for lands/outdoors equipment for sale; articles should somehow be related to our initiatives, interests or activities and should try (to the extent possible) to represent all areas of the trail route. – Acts as Association spokesperson with those individuals/businesses who wish to advertise in the Voyageur Trail News.
– Secures general and directors/officers liability insurance for the VTA and member clubs through Hike Ontario or directly through a broker. – Ensures policies are renewed annually in timely fashion. – Communicates with Hike Ontario and/or the insurance broker on policy issues. – Collects financial, executive, general membership, trail and activity information for the insurer. – Upon request, arranges addition of landowners to the general liability policy. – Acquires certificates of insurance as needed.